You hear you're moving to a bigger office and that you'll be put in charge. Great news, right?
The problem is: You don’t know the first thing about office security management.
Don’t panic. By the time you go through our office security checklist, you’ll have a clear understanding of the cutting-edge solutions available—and exactly what you need—to keep your office safe from intruders and burglars. But first, let’s consider what’s wrong with many of the legacy office security management solutions on the market today.
What’s Wrong with Legacy Office Security Management Solutions?
Openpath cofounder and Chief Security Officer Samy Kamkar is one of the leading security researchers in the industry, which is why our solutions feature the most advanced security innovations on the market. Kamkar found that legacy access control solutions—those in nearly every office—have three serious problems that you’ll need to avoid when designing your office security plan:
- They aren’t very secure: Legacy office security management systems are based on 20- to 30-year-old technology that’s vulnerable to hacks and break-ins.
- They’re inconvenient: Keycards require a dedicated administrator to assign and maintain credentials.
- They’re expensive: The initial setup costs and maintenance of legacy access control solutions make them hard to afford for most small businesses.
Use Our Security Management Checklist to Design Your Office Security Plan
Openpath’s access and security systems solve the above three drawbacks—bringing greater security, convenience and cost-savings to the industry—but there are a lot of options to choose from. Whether you select Openpath or not, make sure that your office security system meets the minimum standards in our office security management checklist:
- Compatibility: Your access control and security solution should be compatible with all door security, elevators, fire, burglar alarm systems and surveillance cameras at your facility. These systems should also integrate through a central control hub. This way, the various components can communicate with each other, and you can update, maintain and control everything from one place.
- Flexibility: Your solution should be able to expand as your company grows, or move with your office if you need to change locations. It should be easy and affordable to enhance your existing security setup with new doors, offices—and even additional office buildings anywhere in the world. You should be able to remotely grant and revoke access to employees and visitors without being physically present at the office.
- Code compliant: Your access control and security system must comply with fire safety and other building code parameters. Always check with local inspectors to ensure your access control, fire and security systems adhere to local codes.
- Auditability: Your system should record information, so you can run reports on who is entering and exiting the facility and when. Most modern access control and security systems allow you to monitor who’s coming and going. This information will help you investigate security breaches if they arise.
- Custom notifications: Advanced office security solutions allow for custom notifications and alerts. These are valuable for keeping a close watch on building security according to the specific parameters you choose. For example, when someone enters your building during off-hours, you’ll receive a notice that tells you who the person is, and when the entry happened.
- Affordability: Openpath keeps your costs down by (1) using a cloud-based server instead of requiring you to purchase and install an on-site server; and (2) by using smartphone credentials instead of costly key cards and fobs. When comparing solutions, don’t forget to ask about maintenance and customer support costs.
- Smartphone-based access: Smartphone-based access solutions offer higher security because—unlike RFID cards—smartphone credentials are extremely difficult for criminals to copy. Also, Openpath solutions use the built-in fingerprint and facial recognition features of smartphones to elevate the security of your access control setup. Beyond increased security, mobile access control solutions allow office managers to bypass the continual hassle of managing a keycard-based system.
- Security: Your access control solution should take advantage of the latest end-to-end encryption technology to elevate the security of your office or building. Communications between your readers, access control units, and mobile credentials should be safe and encrypted.
Contact Openpath to Learn About Our Advanced Security Management Technology
Your office security plan is only as secure as the technology you use. Openpath provides a complete system, with cutting-edge solutions to the most common complaints in the industry. If you’d like to learn how your business can benefit from (1) elevated security, (2) convenience, and (3) enormous cost savings, contact Openpath today.
Fascinated by emerging technologies and the laws and market trends that follow them, Jeremy Hillpot’s background in consumer fraud litigation and marketing provides a unique perspective on a vast array of topics including smart technology, building security, investments, startups, cryptocurrencies and the law. Contact Jeremy at legalwritingFINRA.com or jhillpot@legalwritingFINRA.com.